Diet, Nutrition & Prevention
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA
This is a 12-week, small-group program designed for adult cancer survivors who have become chronically fatigued or de-conditioned from treatment and disease. The program is offered without cost to the participants. For more information, contact your local Y branch.
- FREE 12-week YMCA Family Membership
- Two 75-minute classes per week
- Full access to the YMCA seven days per week
- Improve energy levels and self-esteem
- Build muscle mass and strength
- Increase flexibility and endurance
- Improve functional ability to do everyday tasks
- Personally commit to attending all classes
- Inform their physician of their plan to join the program
- Give permission for YMCA staff to call physician or person giving treatment when necessary
- Complete our screening forms and health questionnaire
- This class is recommended for individuals who have finished their cancer treatment recently or are survivors looking to regain health and improve quality of life.
This 12-month program helps overweight adults at risk for type 2 diabetes reduce their risk for developing the disease by taking steps to improve overall health and well-being. Participants work together in a small group facilitated by a trained Y lifestyle coach to achieve the program goals of reducing individual weight by 7 percent and building up to 150 minutes of moderate physical activity per week for the purpose of reducing their risk for developing diabetes.
For more information or to register, contact Dara Midwood at 508.996.9622 x 131 or email@example.com. To find out more about the program visit ymca.net/diabetes-prevention/
Healthy Weight & Your Child
Healthy Weight & Your Child is a 25-session, evidence-based program delivered over 12 months for children with obesity. The program empowers 7-13 year olds, with the support of their families, to reach a healthy weight and live a healthier lifestyle. The program includes a family information session, 16 weekly sessions, and five monthly sessions.
Made up of groups of 10 to 15 children and their parent/guardian, the program creates a safe, fun, and active environment for children and their families to explore and adopt proven methods to living a healthier lifestyle. Healthy Weight & Your Child’s curriculum is adapted from the most widely disseminated and extensively evaluated child weight management program in the world. The program emphasizes three elements: healthy eating, regular physical activity, and behavior change to elicit a positive life-long lifestyle transformation.
For more information please contact: Mary Beth Gamache, Healthy & Wellness Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 508.997.0734 x 130.
- In-person sessions for child and adult
- Peer support for adults
- Physical activity
- Healthy eating
- Portion control
- Grocery store tour
- Food label reading
Healthy Weight & Your Child engages the whole family so together they can understand how the home environment and other factors influence the choices that lead to a healthy weight.
Evidence shows that child weight-management programs are more effective when the whole family is involved and committed to adopting healthier habits. For this reason, the program is designed so that parent/caregiver attendance is required at all sessions.
- Child must be 7-13 years old
- Child must carry excess weight, with a body mass index of the 95th percentile or higher
- Child must receive clearance from a healthcare provider or a school nurse to participate in physical activity
- Adult MUST attend all sessions with child